History of the Southern School of Pharmacy
by E. W. Aldredge
From Spatula (Southern College of
Pharmacy Newsletter), April 1942
Origin In 1903, or prior thereto, Hansell W. Crenshaw, M. D., a
prominent physician, and Edgar A. Everhart, Ph.D., a well known German chemist, whose
doctorate was obtained at Freiburg University, in Germany, considered that there was need
for another college of pharmacy in Atlanta, Ga. These men busied themselves to bring the
new college into existence. One of their first problems connected with the college was to
obtain a professor of pharmacy. In Reuben C. Hood, Phar. D., they found their man. These
men, having secured the necessary personnel, obtained a charter in July, 1903, and opened
the college the following October.
The First Location The College
authorities rented the fifth floor of a building located at the corner of Marietta and
Broad Sts. Here the College opened its doors to the world on October 1, 1903. And from
this opening dates its long history.
Time Required for Graduation The length of the school was two terms,
which ran from October to April, as freshman year, and from April to October, as senior
year. On the completion of these two terms, the graduate was awarded the Ph. G. degree.
The First Faculty The College began instruction with the following
H. W. Crenshaw, M.D.
E. A. Everhart, Ph.D.
R. C. Hood, Phar.D.
E. C. Cartledge, M.D.
Archibald Smith, M.D.
Hon. Madison Bell
The Hon. John Temple Graves was the Chairman of the first board of trustees.
The Second Location After one year in the first location, the College
moved, in 1904, to a location above the Gas Co. office, which was located at the corner of
Broad and Alabama Sts. Awaiting the completion of a remodeling program to be carried out
at the first location, the College remained one year.
Third Location In 1905, when the first home of the College had been
remodeled, the College moved back into it. Here the College operated until 1907.
Fourth Location In 1907, a group of stockholders purchased a lot at
the corner of Luckie and Bartow Streets, and erected a college building. Here the college
operated until 1913, And here DrCrenshaw sold his interest to Dr. Hood, for the purpose of
raising funds with which to erect a hospital in the Grant Park section.
Later the College building was sold to Ginn & Co., and it is now occupied by this
company, together with ParkeDavis & Co. At this location, Dr. Hood having bought all
of the stock of the College, gave a one-fourth interest in it to Professor W. B. Freemen.
At a later date Professor Freeman's interest was purchased by Mrs. R. C. Hood for
Fifth Location In 1913, the College moved to the Moore building, on
Walton St. Here the College remained until 1921.
Sixth Location Some time during 1921 the College moved to the corner
of West Peachtree and Fast Pine Sts., into a building built specifically for the Southern
College of Pharmacy. In this location the College remained until 1932. During the
College's tenure here, the course of the two consecutive terms was abandoned, being
replaced in the fall of 1922 by two terms of eight months each. In the College's March of
Progress it, at some time between 1922 and 1932, raised its requirements for graduation to
three school years ot nine months each, At this location, R. J. Martin, Phar. D., a
faculty member, purchased the one-fourth interest held by Dr. Hood's wife and an
additional one-fourth interest from Dr. Hood. Now the ownership of the College became
vested in Dr. Hood and Dr. Martin.
Seventh Location The year 1932 saw the Southern College of Pharmacy in
its present home at 223 Walton St., N.W.
Further Progress and Reorganization of the College In pharmacy's
parade of progress, the Southern College of Pharmacy kept step by abandoning, in 1935, the
three-year course, and instituting in its stead, in 1936, a standard four-year course. A
further step of progress was taken when, in 1938, Dr. Hood and Dr. Martin gave their
interests to a board of trustees for the purpose of having the College chartered as a
non-profit institution dedicated to higher learning and to be held in perpetuity for the
behoof and benefit of the profession of pharmacy. Now the new, independent and nonprofit
Southern College of Pharmacy has, by virtue of its new charter, been placed in the hands
of a board of trustees. This first board of trustees of the reorganized College was
composed of the following men:
J. L. Hawk, Chairman, Atlanta, Ga.
Z. 0. Moore, Secretary and Treasurer, Atlanta, Ga.
L. R. Brewer, Atlanta, Ga.
T. M. McCleskey, Atlanta, Ga.
J. T. Selman, Atlanta, Ga.
M. D. Hodges, Marietta, Ga.
H. S. Peters, Manchester, Ga.
J. E. Massey, Hahira, Ga.
H. J. Avera, Fort Valley, Ga.
Progress After Reorganization After reorganization, the College has
been a continuous stream of progress. Laboratory after laboratory has been added,
equipment, piece after piece, has been purchased, and the library has been expanded in
space and in volumes. The offices of administration have come in for their share of
improvements. They have been moved into a new room, and it was found desirable to include
with them a private office for faculty members. Thus, the personnel of the College is
conveniently grouped together. The arrangement of the various offices provides a reception
room, around which all of the offices are visible and from which all are readily
accessible. An additional room has been acquired for use between classes as a lounging
room for students. Further, the old curriculum, consisting principally of pharmacy,
materia medica, chemistry and botany, has been enlarged to include along with these
subjects, which are necessary to the proper training of pharmacists, such other subjects
as are necessary to impart to pharmacy education comparableness to that of liberal arts
Patronage Since the College was founded it has been freely patronized.
Students from practically all of the United States have enrolled here, and practically all
of the foreign countries have had enrollees.
Success of Graduates The long list of alumni contains the names of men
who have made good in practically all walks of life - chemists, analysts, teachers,
lawyers, salesmen, physicians, business men, public officials, and pharmacists.