The Southern College of Pharmacy was the realization of a dream of three prominent
Atlantans: Hansell W. Crenshaw, M.D.,
Edgar A. Everhart, Ph.D. and R.C. Hood, Phar.D.
Dr. Hansell W. Crenshaw, M.D. served as
1st President of the Southern College of Pharmacy.
The College began instruction with the following faculty:
H.W. Crenshaw, M.D.
E.A. Everhart, Ph.D.
R.C. Hood, Phar.D.
E.C. Cartledge, M.D.
Archibald Smith, M.D.
Hon. Madison Bell
October 1, 1903
The School opened on the fifth floor in a building at the
corner of Marietta and Broad Streets in Atlanta.
A Ph.G. degree was granted upon the completion of two sessions of study, six months
each, running from October to April and from April to October.
Fully accredited by the Department of Education of the State of Georgia
First class of six students graduated
The first Board of Trustees
Began a two-year (8 months each) program - Ph.G. ("Graduate Pharmacist") degree. Also offered a Ph.C. ("Pharmaceutical Chemist") degree following the Ph.G.
degree with a post-graduate course.
Raised the requirement for graduation to a three-year (9 months each) program (Ph.G. degree)
Moved to Walton St. building, shared building with the GA
Evening School of Commerce (now GSU)
Began four-year degree program - conferring a B.S Phar. degree
Dr. Hood and Dr. Martin gave their interests to a Board of Trustees for the purpose of
having the College chartered as a non-profit institution
Dr. Reuben C. Hood - first Dean of the Southern College of Pharmacy
June 26, 1941
1stBd. of Trustees after the reorganization of the College:
J.L. Hawk, chairman, Atlanta, GA;
Z.O. Moore, Secretary and Treasurer, Atlanta, GA;
L.R. Brewer, Atlanta; GA;
T.M. McCleskey, Atlanta, GA;
J.T. Selman, Atlanta, GA;
M.D. Hodges, Marietta, GA;
H.S. Peters, Manchester, GA;
J.E. Massey, Hahira, GA; and
H.J. Avera, Fort Valley, GA v
SCP accredited by the State Dept. of Education - 4 year curriculum
November 26, 1941
SCP accredited by the Georgia State Board of Pharmacy
March 27, 1942
SCP accredited by the American Council on Pharmaceutical Education
First honorary Doctor of Science Degree was given to Judson L. Hawk, Sr.
Established the H.C. Naylor Scholarship Foundation Fund
Became a member of the (AACP) American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
Dr. Reuben C. Hood retired as Dean
Dr. Minnie Meyers, Acting Dean
June 20, 1951
First charter of the Alumni Association of the SCP
Dr. M.A. Chambers became Dean (1952-1957)
Faculty voted for a 5-year BS degree
Dr. Wei-Chin Liu taught a new course in "Isotope Pharmacy" (how to handle and
dispense radioactive drugs) which was the first of its kind in the U.S.
Dr. Oliver M. Littlejohn became Dean
Merged with Mercer University
March 26, 1959
Dedicated the Mal T. Anderson Dispensing Lab
Began the first 5-year B.S. degree program
Jan. 31, 1967
Applied for the organization of a chapter of the Rho Chi Honor Society
Southern College of Pharmacy renamed the Southern School of Pharmacy
APhA & GPhA started drug abuse team guided by Dr. Lopez
Moved into new building - Robert Herold Building, 345 Boulevard, NE
Started the elective Pharm.D. program
October 23, 1973
"The Pharmacy, a community pharmacy owned & operated by Mercer University's SSOP,
became the first such operation to be recognized as a member pharmacy by the American
College of Apothecaries"
(AJPEd Vol. 38, 1974, p. 126)
First four Pharm.D. degree students graduate
Combined Pharmacy/Master of Business Administration degree offered
First required all Pharm.D. program (1st in the southeast and 5th in the nation)
First all Pharm.D class graduated
Dr. Littlejohn retired as Dean
Dec. 1, 1984
Dr. Dick R. Gourley, Dean (1984-1989)
Established the International Center for Pharmacy Education and Research, Dr. Gourley, Director of the Center
Faculty approved the Master of Science Program in Institutional Pharmacy, classes began in
Started Ph.D. program
Sept. 1, 1989
Dr. Hewitt W. (Ted) Matthews named as Acting Dean
First Ph.D. student graduate (Patrick J. DeSouza)
Established the Center for Clinical Research, Dr. Michael Jann, Director
May 1, 1990
Dr. Hewitt W. (Ted) Matthews named as Dean
Moved to the NE Atlanta campus, Cecil B. Day Campus of Mercer University
April 25, 1992
Dedicated the Education and Research Center on the Cecil B. Day Campus
Initiated the first offering of a certificate program in Consultant Pharmacy (CPCP)
Established the Center for Pharmacy Management, Dr. Richard Jackson, Director of the program
Started the nation's first fellowship in pharmacy practice automation
Collaborated with UGA for Non-traditional Pharm.D. Pathway Program
Established the Center for Health Outcomes Research, Dr. Z. Tom Grapes, Director of the Center
October 3-4, 2003
The Southern School of Pharmacy celebrated their Centennial.
More than 4,000 students have graduated in the first 100 years.
July 1, 2006
The Southern School of Pharmacy changed its name to the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (COPHS).
The Physician Assistant Program began. This program awards a Master of Medical Science at completion.
COPHS started the first residency program, in Orthopedic Manual Physical Therapy, in the state of Georgia.
COPHS began enrolling students into the Doctor of Physical Therapy Program.